IOWA SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
Under supervision of the Principal, works with oversight from a Work Experience Coordinator to coordinate the work experience program for high school and 4Plus (transition program) students.
• Provide job training for students and work collaboratively with the ISD staff to ensure that students receive appropriate services
• Assess students for work readiness skills. Match student needs, skills, and interested with available job opportunities
• Work with students 1:1 or in small groups to develop skills needed to obtain/maintain employment such as job searches, applications, resume construction, interview skills, etc.
• Develop and maintain positive partnerships with community businesses and agencies, and assist with accommodation guidelines outlined in the Americans with Disabilities Act and other laws/policies.
• Contact employers and develop community-based opportunities for students to job shadow, have exploratory job placements and long-term work experiences
• Connect regularly with job site supervisors to ensure successful work experience placements, resolve problems that may arise, and to monitor students in the field.
• Be available as first point of contact for and provide input to students, staff, and parents for report cards and at IEP meetings (outside of normal working hours if necessary).
• Work cooperatively with ISD staff to develop appropriate learning targets, coordinate scheduling/transportation.
• Maintain a database of work experience sites with relevant details of employment positions.
• Bachelor's degree in business, human services, vocational rehabilitation, Deaf Education, or related field.
• Ability to meet the level of sign language proficiency designated for the position as outlined in the School's Sign Language Policy.
• Willing to work odd hours and during the summer, weekends, etc.
• Ability to travel within the community regularly; throughout the state occasionally including some overnights
• Strong networking skills to build relationships with business community members.
• Must have understanding of the needs of the Deaf and hard of hearing.
• Prefer experience working with students/young adults in the workplace
These statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the job.
Hours: Full-time. Contract-191 days/first year, 189 days/subsequent years; due to the nature of the position, some summer, early morning, evening, and weekend hours may be necessary.
Pay/Benefits: $44,000-$67,000/year; health and dental insurance, retirement, flex spending accounts, and more
How to apply: Download application at www.iowaschoolforthedeaf.org/employment/employmentopportunities/.
Send resume, cover letter, credentials, unofficial transcripts, etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to ISD Human Resources, 3501 Harry Langdon Blvd, Council Bluffs, IA, 51503
Questions? Email email@example.com, or call 712-366-0571(v)/712-796-1203(vp)
The Iowa School for the Deaf is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. A State of Iowa, Board of Regents School.