2021's Awarded - UNbelievable Workplaces
expected start date: mid-August, 2021
Iowa School for the Deaf has an opening for a full-time school assistant. This is a school year position (no work and no pay during school breaks such as summer break). The work is primarily as a one-on-one aid with multi-disabled students.
Under the supervision of assigned staff member, works directly with students in activities programmed by the supervisor. Duties require the ability to work in a group or one-on-one with a student to provide additional support and assistance. Work is primarily as a one-on-one aid for multi-disabled students.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Receives instructions from immediate supervisor
2. Works with and services needs of children on a group or individual basis in personal, classroom, recreation, dormitory or busing activities.
3. Knows child’s location, special needs and interests, social development, school progress and/or family background, and confers with other teachers, assistants, houseparents, health staff and/or other staff regarding the child’s welfare.
4. Provides face-to-face and written reports as requested or necessary for the welfare status of the students.
The tasks listed under the heading of Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities are examples of the variety and general nature of duties performed by employees in positions allocated in the class. The list is descriptive only and should be used for no other purpose. It is not intended that any position includes every duty listed nor is it intended that related duties cannot be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to communicate in person and in writing.
2. Knowledge of basic principles and procedures of first aid.
3. Ability to keep accurate, up-to-date records.
4. Knowledge of emergency evacuation procedures.
5. Knowledge of human behavior and needs of impaired children.
6. Ability to reach the level of sign language proficiency designated for their position within the time frame established by the School’s “Sign Language Communication Policy”.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
Must be able to reach designated level of sign language proficiency within the time frame established by the School’s Sign Policy. Must have a high school diploma or GED.
Position Type: Full-time
Teenage Jobs : Hires 18 +