2021's Awarded - UNbelievable Workplaces
Iowa School for the Deaf is currently accepting applications for a full-time Custodian.
Primary Function: Under direct supervision, performs custodial work required for the general maintenance of buildings. In addition to various cleaning functions; moves furniture, sets up and tears down for meetings/special events, and also responsible for snow removal at building entrances.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs cleaning in all areas of a building.
2. Performs cleaning of all floor areas such as vacuuming, shampooing, sweeping, mopping, stripping, scrubbing, waxing, and buffing.
3. Cleans and polishes all bathroom fixtures.
4. Cleans and washes all glass surfaces, ceilings and walls. The use of a ladder up to 12 feet in height may be required.
5. Replaces light bulbs and cleans light fixtures, using a ladder as required.
6. Makes beds and handles both clean and soiled linens. Refills holder of disposable items, such as soap, bathroom tissue, paper towels, etc. Cleans and disinfects beds, bedside tables, overbed tables, etc., and other equipment and areas.
7. Reports breakage and needed repairs.
8. Moves furniture, supplies and miscellaneous equipment; removes draperies and rugs periodically for cleaning; delivers supplies to various areas.
9. Collects trash from receptacles throughout the building and empties it into various areas.
10. Performs duties in the immediate exterior of building such as sweeping sidewalks, snow and ice removal at entrances, cleaning debris from grounds and window wells, and cleaning exterior windows.
11. Locks and unlocks doors as required.
12. Assists in unloading trucks, unpacking, assembling, and moving equipment and furniture. Picks up and returns equipment for repair by maintenance. Delivers housekeeping supplies to designated areas.
13. Operates high pressure, water-cleaning apparatus to clean and disinfect rug runners, hospital equipment and showers.
14. Maintains inventory of linen and record of lined laundering; maintains inventory of custodial supplies, and keeps and prepares other records and reports as directed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of standard cleaning techniques and characteristics of surfaces to be cleaned, and equipment and supplies required.
2. Ability to move furniture and objects in preparation for cleaning; to load and unload trash receptacles; to operate safely and properly care for power machinery; to use arm muscles in hand cleaning, mopping, and scrubbing for protracted periods of time; to work on ladders.
3. Knowledge of proper bending and lifting techniques and ability to lift and carry 50 pounds.
4. Ability to work in a variety of environments including crowded public areas and high and low temperature areas.
5. Knowledge of the safe use if chemical cleaning agents and possible hazards relating to environmental sanitation.
6. Ability to communicate effectively with others.
7. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
Ability to read, write and follow directions.
Requirements: Must be able to reach designated level of sign language proficiency within the time frame established by the School’s Sign Policy.
Applicant must have satisfactory criminal history and child abuse registry background checks before hire.
The tasks listed under the heading of Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities are examples of the variety and general nature of duties performed by employees in positions allocated in the class. The list is descriptive only and should be used for no other purpose. It is not intended that any position include every duty listed nor is it intended that related duties cannot be required.
Wage: Pay Starts: $13.74/hour; full benefits.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday; 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
Application Deadline: Apply by downloading application from the ‘employment’ link on ISD’s website www.iowaschoolforthedeaf.org and mailing to ISD, Human Resources, 3501 Harry Langdon Blvd, Council Bluffs, IA 51503; or by coming to ISD’s main administration building and turning in an application at the front desk. Or phone 712-366-0571 and request to have an application mailed to you. Be sure to indicate the position you are applying for on the front page. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Completion of the National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) is recommended. The NCRC may be completed at any Iowa Workforce Development Office. Please include information for verifying your NCRC certification level with your application materials.
Position Type: Full-time
Teenage Jobs : Hires 18 +