Children’s Square USA is currently seeking nursing staff to care for youth ages 0-18 years residing in the Children's Square Residential Treatment Program and Emergency Youth Shelter. Youth served in either of these programs often have complex physical and mental health needs. We are are looking for a Registered Nurse to be a part of our continuum of care, recognizing the importance of integrated physical health and behavioral health treatment. The professional we are seeking will have the vision, courage, and will to positively impact the health and wellness of our most vulnerable youth. Nursing staff are responsible for the medical care, medication administration, assessment, treatment, infection control, and first aid for staff, students and visitors.
The Registered Nurse position schedule is Monday - Friday (8:00 AM - 5:00 PM respectively) and includes some evenings and weekends. This professional will also work within our Integrated Health Services Program and will triage and assess the nursing care needs of children with behavioral and/or mental health conditions as a member of a community child health team. Working as a member of the Integrated Health Services team, the RN will utilize the principles of family-centered, community-based, comprehensive and culturally competent care in the provision of services to children with behavioral and/or mental health care needs and their families.
The ideal candidate will hold a current RN Iowa Nursing License. A minimum of two years experience in pediatric health or public health nursing, preferred. Full- and 3/4-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefits package.
- Provide assessment, treatment and referral necessary to ensure good health care for all students.
- Oversee medication management for all the programs and ensure that it is conducted according to the best practice, policy and procedures and licensing.
- Work with the infection control consultant to identify, analyze, report and control infections for students and staff.
- Actively participates as a member of the interdisciplinary team to accomplish quality treatment planning and implementation.
- Handle lab tests for students as ordered, following agency policies and procedures.
- Know the licensing and accreditation standards that apply to health services and implement them.
- Promote a positive team and work environment that will facilitate the fulfillment of the agency mission.
- Provides nursing care for assigned students as efficiently as possible.
- Communicates relevant student information to other treatment team members using the formats established by Children’s Square policy and procedure.
- Follow agency policies and procedures regarding the review of physical interventions and the reporting of suspected child abuse.
- Provide education on medical needs, procedures and medications to students, their families and to staff as needed.
- Provide timely, accurate assessment and appropriate follow up or referral.
- Work on the shift in the residential treatment program or emergency shelter.
- Facilitate communication between the families and care providers and serve as an advocate for the child and family.
- Provide care coordination services regarding resources and referral to the family of the child with behavioral and/or mental health care needs, assisting the child and family to utilize community, regional ro tertiary health care resources in order to restore, maintain and promote health.
- Provide on call/telephone consultation on a rotating basis. May be required to meet clients after hours for crisis management.
- Provide planning and care coordination functions such as: follow up contacts with the family and community partners; coordinate and triage referrals; work with referral sources and agencies. Plan and lead family meetings to meet the needs of the child and family.
- Serve as liaison with community care providers, including primary care and tertiary care providers, by providing expert knowledge related to service systems needed by children with mental and/or behavioral health care needs and their families.
- Assist the family to obtain necessary knowledge of health care financing entities such as Medicaid, EPSDT, SSI, state waivers, Iowa Cares and the hawk-i program.
- Assist the family, as appropriate, to follow through with the child's treatment recommendations and with the coordination of community services.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Current license as an RN in the state of Iowa.
- Psychiatric experience with children preferred.
- Ability to interpret and apply licensing, accreditation and policies and procedures to daily work.
- Ability to decide on appropriate treatments, medication actions and dietary changes essential.
- Ability to work in therapeutic team environment.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish relationships with a wide range of individuals.
- Basic computer skills required, which includes using email, Word, Excel, electronic health record (EHR) systems, portals, etc.
- Database experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
- Ability to interact with clients and children with sensitivity and responsiveness to cultural differences in the service population.
- Must be able to handle confidential information appropriately
- Must be able to interact and work cooperatively and effectively with other personnel and clients
- Valid driver's license with a driving record that is insurable under agency's insurance.