The Automation Engineer is responsible for companywide applications of the design, programming, budgetary requirements, installation of equipment and components, maintenance, troubleshooting, repair and improvement of all plant manufacturing equipment and systems. The individual in this position will also evaluate and recommend improvements for all plant equipment and instrumentation. The individual will work closely within the Engineering Department in conjunction with Mechanical Engineers and Project Managers to assist in various roles involving the tasks listed above.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job.
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair plant manufacturing equipment.
- Interact with computer software and hardware suppliers and manufacturers, and with suppliers and manufacturers of all company manufacturing equipment and instrumentation.
- Evaluate, recommend and implement improvements to company equipment and instrumentation.
- Assist Company Maintenance and Operations during off hours remotely.
- Install, program, troubleshoot, and repair machine control PC’s and PLC’s.
- Perform electrical wiring from low voltage through 480 volt, 3-phase.
- Actively participate in and support company expansion, improvement, and cost reduction projects.
- Manage engineering projects, electronics upgrades, and controls obsolescence avoidance program.
- Interact with IT to ensure manufacturing equipment and instrumentation effectively interfaces with corporate data systems and networks.
- Program PLCs and equipment hand-shakes via direct or LAN connections.
- Frequently and effectively use computers for the documentation, analysis, and communication of data.
- Work with engineering team to develop electrical, instrumentation and controls products and systems to satisfy unique customer specifications, contracts, and new business development.
- Create/review/modify electrical schematics, drawings and I/O lists for various electro-mechanical systems to ensure compliance with engineering standards and customer specifications.
- Support design and shop building of machine control systems.
- Participate as necessary in equipment tests (including Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT)), assembly, installation, and set-up activities to ensure components and systems are conforming to engineering design standards and customer specifications.
- Estimate engineering time, material costs and resources required for proposed projects.
- Issue purchase orders and/or provide the Purchasing Department with technical guidance on electrical components, equipment, software, and services.
- Maintain good housekeeping and regularly clean work area, machines, and equipment.
- Identify and contribute to continuous improvement efforts to reduce costs or increase productivity without reducing effectiveness.
- Support the development of the project charter and the detailed project concept. Ensure engineering implementation in accordance with the defined time, budget and safety measurements. Evaluate aptitude and give guidance to Contractor and Warren assets to assist in project completion in the most efficient and safe manner.
- Organize projects or teams throughout a department/company to accomplish broad sweeping changes and improvements.
- Capability of working with all levels within the organization and the ability to make effective presentations to diverse groups. Ability to create thorough and detailed project progress reports and offer effective “as built” solutions to the project manager thru ought a project.
- Assist Project Managers with project closeout, handoff and required training for affected associates, supervisors and Dept. Managers.
- Capability to make high level safety determinations of risks and hazards associated with electrical exposures and assist at a technician level in training and comprehension. Have a broad understanding of company electrical safety policy and NFPA 70E and assist facilities in compliancy and training.
- Maintain an open and candid working relationship with immediate supervisor/manager in discussing matters of importance.
- Adhere to established company values, practices, policies and procedures at all times. Follow and support compliance with all applicable safety rules, laws, regulations, and standards.
- Demonstrate regular and punctual attendance at the assigned work location.
- Travel to vendor locations and to all Highline-Warren Distribution facilities to perform essential duties and responsibilities, including overnight stays, with travel required up to 30% of the time.
Although not essential to the position, the individual may be asked to perform other duties as requested by management.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
An individual qualified for this job must be able to:
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Understand mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems, and interpret related engineering drawings.
- Write routine reports and correspondence.
- Speak effectively before groups of customers, fellow associates, and senior management.
- Successfully reason, define problems, collect data, and draw valid conclusions to solve complex matters.
- Lead and inspire team members; must be able to relate to and build team working relationships
- Operate a computer and demonstrate PC proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point).
- Effectively and professionally communicate with co-workers, team members, and internal or external customers. Present information clearly and accurately.
- Pay attention to details and pursue quality in accomplishing work duties and tasks. Look for opportunities to reduce costs or increase productivity without reducing effectiveness.
- Handle challenges skillfully, thoroughly, and effectively.
- Independently take advantage of opportunities to improve or increase skills, abilities and job knowledge.
- Efficiently perform accurate mathematical calculations.
- Make sure that work is delivered on time and of high quality.
- Develop good work practices in order to get the job done.
- Use equipment, resources and time in an efficient and effective manner.
- Use good judgment when making decisions.
- Perform work in a safe manner at all times.
- Be professional in all interactions and dealings with co-workers, internal/external customers and vendors.
- Do the right thing, even when it is difficult.
Minimum Experience, Education, and Certifications
- Engineering Degree, Automation Professional Certification or at least 7 years of related work experience in engineering and manufacturing facilities, or any satisfactory combination of education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the Essential Functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Remain in a stationary position while performing administrative duties and troubleshooting various equipment.
- Regularly move about and transport products and materials weighing up to 75 pounds when installing, troubleshooting, and performing repair work on equipment.
- Work effectively atop elevated workspaces when installing, troubleshooting and performing repair work on equipment.
- Use force up to 85 pounds when moving products from pallets or when maneuvering a gearbox or motor.
- Reach overhead to access machinery and tools and when using scissor and boom lifts.
- Position oneself to access lower level of equipment when repairing, trouble shooting, and installing equipment.
- Ascend/descend stairs/ladders to perform when installing, troubleshooting and performing repair work on equipment.
- Operate, position, and use a wide variety of hand tools and equipment.
- Perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels and have the ability to exchange detailed information.
- Move about the manufacturing facility to observe and effectively communicate with team members and perform job duties.
The environmental conditions described here are representative of those the associate encounters while performing the Essential Functions of the job.
- The individual will be expected to work in a manufacturing and production environment, which may include being exposed to work in high/precarious places, moving machinery, marked changes in temperature and humidity, and dust, odors and fumes. Typical noise level is loud.
The Company will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Amendments.