Job Title: Sales Manager
Employer: Council Bluffs Convention & Visitors Bureau, Council Bluffs, IA
Reports to: Executive Director
The Council Bluffs Convention & Visitors Bureau is a private, not-for-profit, 501(c)6 organization with the express purpose of promoting Council Bluffs and Pottawattamie County as a travel destination. Travelers spent more than $300 million annually in Pottawattamie County according to the US Travel Association.
While the bureau has led the effort to promote the city’s tourism assets for approximately 30 years, it only in recent years became a separate, stand-alone organization governed by a seven-member board of directors. The CBCVB is a small team passionate about promoting Council Bluffs and enticing new visitors to our one-of-a-kind city – UNlike anywhere else. On purpose.
The sales manager is responsible for pitching the city as a host for meetings, conferences, and sporting events. A keen focus is placed on bringing new business to town especially those events requiring multiple hotels and venues. However, the retention of existing business is also important. The sales manager must possess an acute attention to detail while also being adept at multi-tasking with numerous projects and clients. Event servicing and follow-up reporting are additional tasks covered by the position.
- Identify and contact prospective accounts with an emphasis on new business to qualify them for a future convention, event, and tournament business for Council Bluffs, particularly those which require multiple hotels or are otherwise considered city-wide.
- Organize and develop sales proposals, including hotel room blocks.
- Coordinate and conduct bid presentations and other sales pitches.
- Plan site inspection itineraries and accompany clients to showcase facilities and area benefits.
- Generate leads at industry tradeshows and analyze the return on investment for these to ensure the bureau participates in the shows that provide the best return.
- Create all appropriate documentation and enter all pertinent data into the bureau’s client database associated with business development including but not limited to phone calls, emails, tradeshow interactions, correspondence, and bid proposals. Ensure data is accurate and current.
- Pursue and achieve ever-increasing sales performance goals.
- Recruit, engage, and encourage local community members affiliated with targeted accounts to hold future tradeshows, meetings, conventions, events, and tournaments in Council Bluffs.
- Maintain a strong, positive relationship with past customers with the goal of retaining and growing existing business.
- Foster trust and strong working relationships with the Mid-America Center, Council Bluffs hotels, city and county attractions, Visit Omaha, Sarpy County Tourism, and travel and tourism colleagues in Iowa and Nebraska.
- Know and understand the capabilities, amenities, and services of venues, hotels, attractions, and event-related businesses in Council Bluffs and the surrounding area.
- Provide appropriate reports to the executive director with a focus on the return on investment for sales and other related activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in sales, marketing, hospitality or business, or the equivalent experience in sales.
- Five years of related sales experience with persuasive sales and negotiation abilities.
- Excellent command of the English language as well as exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Motivated, self-starter, goal-focused, and very detail-oriented.
- Superior organizational, time management, and problem-solving abilities.
- Takes initiative, works well independently, and handles multiple tasks effectively.
- Demonstrates a commitment to quality, accuracy, and continuous improvement.
- Proven skills in account management, direct sales, sales presentations (verbal and written), and tradeshow work.
- Ability to identify customer needs, remain flexible, and be creative while following through and closing the sale.
- Reliable, flexible, and responsive. Able and willing to work long hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays as required. Travel is also necessary in order to make sales calls and participate in tradeshows and conferences which can mean being away from home for multiple days and nights.
- Proficient in computer and keyboard use including Microsoft Office software.
- Projects a professional appearance, and positive attitude. Willing to adapt to change and sees him/herself as a member of the CBCVB team.
- Must be capable of exercising independent judgment, discretion, and initiative. Utilizes tact and courtesy in frequent contact with clients, partners, business and industry representatives, government officials, and the general public.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Those candidates possessing experience in travel and tourism with a knowledge and appreciation of Council Bluffs are preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit at a desk and computer for long periods of time; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The staff member will also be asked to communicate effectively via verbal, audible, and written means.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The office is heated and air-conditioned. Travel is required periodically for presentations, tradeshows, training, conferences, special projects, and other activities which may occur on evenings and/or weekends for consecutive days.
How to Apply:
To apply, please write a 300-word description of Council Bluffs touting the destination’s key assets and attractions for visitors. Send the writing sample, cover letter, and resume to Mark Eckman, Council Bluffs Convention & Visitors Bureau, 509 23rd Ave, Council Bluffs, IA 51501 by emailing it to email@example.com. The Council Bluffs CVB requests no phone calls or walk-ins regarding the position during the hiring process.
- Salary range: $47,000-57,000 (based on experience)