With the guidance of the CB Chamber’s Public Policy Committee, the Council Bluffs Chamber offers their recommendations for action on issues and strategic policies to foster a healthy economy for Iowa and the Council Bluffs community. This white paper is respectfully presented to guide the Governor and Legislature in approaching these important issues in order to pursue a healthy economy that creates opportunities for Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie County, and all Iowans.
Recovery and Mitigation
Workforce Recruitment and Retention
- Implementation of the recommendations of the Governor’s Economic Recovery Advisory Board.
- Creation of immediately available financial resources for COVID and natural disaster relief.
- Continued support for businesses and organizations adversely impacted by the pandemic.
Economic Development Environment
- Strongly support the continued funding of the Future Ready Iowa Initiative.
- Fully funding, and growing Iowa’s jobs training and apprenticeship programs.
- Investment in a quality education system, from early childhood to post-secondary
- New programs and funds to address issues pertaining to childcare throughout the state.
Fair and Responsible Tax Reform
- Working with IEDA and other partners to ensure tax credits and economic development assistance tools and programs demonstrating a positive ROI are fully funded and supported.
- Renewing the Brownfield/Grayfield Program and setting it on a sustainable path for the future.
- Expanding and Workforce Housing Tax Credit Program
- Protecting tax increment financing (TIF) and other local development tools.
- Continued funding and support for all aspects of Empower Rural Iowa, especially the providing of adequate resources for broadband expansion throughout the state.
- Focus on financial support for creative placemaking and quality of life/place initiatives.
- Attract new residents to Iowa through student loan, childcare, and other forms of assistance.
Investment in Iowa’s Infrastructure
- Support for the Governor’s Invest in Iowa Act to address quality of life/placemaking, water quality, income tax reform, and property tax reform through reformed mental health funding.
- Build off 2018 tax reform to make Iowa’s corporate and individual income tax more competitive.
- Showcase the return on investment of Iowa’s tax credits in any potential corporate tax reform.
- Emphasize making Iowa the most attractive state for the workforce of tomorrow.
PRINT LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
- Continued investment in Iowa’s water quality and existing infrastructure.
- Innovative funding mechanisms for Iowa’s transportation infrastructure.
- Investment in broadband expansion to meet the needs of businesses, remote workers, students, and telehealth alike.
- Making resources available to fund Iowa’s levies and flood mitigation systems.